Some of the junior children at Lake Tekapo School, in the South Island of New Zealand, have sent their Flat Stanley’s on an adventure to Indonesia. Their class is learning about different cultures and their Stanleys are going to help out by sharing their experiences in Indonesia and maybe other destinations.

Saturday 2 April 2016

The Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary, Ubud

Map of where the Monkey Forest is

There are lots of rules to read before you go into the Monkey Forest. I decided that it was best for the Stanleys if they stayed inside my bag. I didn't want any cheeky monkeys to steal them.



The monkeys that live in the forest are Macaques. There are about 600 monkeys and there are five different groups that live if different areas of the forest.  They eat mainly sweet potato and some fruit. Tourists can buy bananas to feed to the monkeys. While they are eating the bananas they sit on your lap, shoulder or head. Normally the monkeys don't climb on you unless you have food. I had a monkey jump on me while I was crossing a bridge. It was very interested in my bag, but it couldn't figure out how to get inside it so the Flat Stanleys were safe.



You can find out more information about The Sacred Monkey Forest here.

11 comments:

  1. Lincoln asks: Why did the Monkey jump on your head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lincoln,
      The first time a monkey jumped on my head was because I had a banana and it wanted to eat it. The second time it was just a curious monkey that was looking for food. That one tried to get into my bag where the Flat Stanleys were too.
      Nikki

      Delete
  2. Godley asks: How do we pronounce the breed name of the monkey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good question Godley class. I wasn't sure either so I did some research and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqhZlROgpNY

      Delete
  3. Ava asks: how many different breeds of monkeys are in Bali?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ava,
      I'm not sure of the answer to your question. Maybe your class could do some research and let me know how many different breeds of monkey are in Bali. I wonder where you would find that information?
      Nikki

      Delete
  4. Devon asks: How many monkeys are there in Bali?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Devon,
      I'm not sure how many monkeys are in Bali but there were about 600 in the Monkey Forest.
      Nikki

      Delete
  5. Xavier asks: what were the monkeys drinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xavier,
      The monkeys were drinking water. One of them had a peanut shell that it was playing with. I'm not sure if it was cleaning it or drinking from it. What do you think?
      Nikki

      Delete
  6. Devon asks: How many monkeys are there in Bali?

    ReplyDelete